Once in awhile, especially in autumn when the air shifts and leaves begin falling, I find it refreshing to drop everything and ask: What do you love? For no particular reason. It’s like carving your own skylight.
So it begins today. My ode to autumn.
I Love . . .
- Crisp air. Soft sweaters.
- Midsummer rain.
- Fresh squeezed orange juice.
- Hand-cranked ice cream.
- Baby smiles.
- Unhurried sips of wine with a friend.
- Lively lunchroom conversation about why teachers are striking in Chicago and Jon Stewart’s first show after 9/11.
- My daughter’s still-small fingers wrapped around my elbow, holding me tight.
- The steady parade of children and guardians on their way to school each morning. The ability to gauge how early or late you are by where you are in the parade once you round the corner a block from home.
- The Midwestern sky.
- My stepmom’s voice in my head, with a “Why not?” for every “Why?” I ask.
- Parents who blog. Parents who write. Parents who’ve been where I am now.
- A vanilla shake in the middle of the day.
- Riding fast on the highway with the top down.
- My little girl paddling her kayak away from shore.
- Painted turtles.
- Core strength.
- The ampersand.
- The letter “Z”.
- The letter “K”.
- The smell of an old hardback book.
I asked my partner and daughter if they wanted to contribute. Together, we came up with these:
– Those last bits of cheese or egg yolk left on the plate after breakfast.
– A good strong scratch up and down her back.
– A long walk.
– Bounding to the door when his people come home, flicking his tail with a happy “Meow-Meow!” (Yes, Johnny is a cat raised by dogs).
– Lying in the same spot every day — in a patch of sunlight on the hard wood floor.
– Human laps.
– Body heat. In any season.
– Busy hands.
– Lying in the sun.
And in their own words:
My Daughter Loves . . .
- I-scream-you-scream-we-all-scream-for-ice-cream 🙂
- Being big and strong. And pretty. And… myself.
- Mushrooms. Lots and lots and lots of mushrooms, popping up in the grass when they weren’t there the day before.
- Playing my water flutes. My toys. Playing my bath toys, basically.
And Kelly Loves . . .
- Swimming in the lake.
- Anything with a sesame seed in it.
- A beautifully written novel.
- The perfect bite.
- Bourbon. Good bourbon.
Today’s Love Train
The Love Train started off last night on the blog of a childhood friend over at don’t touch my poodle, and we were soon joined by
Hop on the Love Train! Leave your link or a note in the Comments below. What’s on your list today?